Early Years and Nursery
We follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum. We aim to create independent, curious and creative learners. The children learn through child-led play, adult initiated and adult-led learning.
How children learn:
- Playing and exploring – Children investigate and experience things. They ‘have a go’.
- Active learning – Children concentrate. They keep on trying if they encounter difficulties and enjoy achievements.
- Creating and thinking critically – Children have and develop their own ideas. They make links between ideas and develop strategies for doing things.
We plan to ensure all children develop in each of these areas.
Prime areas of learning:
- Communication and language development - We give children chances to experience a rich language environment. We develop their confidence and skills. This helps them express themselves and to speak and listen in a range of situations.
- Physical development - We provide opportunities for young children to be active and interactive. They develop their co-ordination, control, and movement. We help the children to understand why activity is important and to make healthy food choices.
- Personal, social and emotional development - We help children to develop a positive sense of themselves and others. We encourage them to:
- form positive relationships and respect for others
- develop social skills and learn how to manage their feelings;
- understand appropriate behaviour in groups; and
- have confidence in their own abilities.
The specific areas of learning:
- Literacy - We develop a love of sharing and reading books with stories, poems, and other written materials. We encourage children to link sounds and letters to begin to read and write.
- Mathematics - Children have time to develop and improve their skills in counting, understanding and using numbers. They calculate simple addition and subtraction problems and describe shapes, spaces, and measure.
- Understanding the world - We guide children to make sense of their physical world and their community. They explore, observe and find out about people, places, technology and the environment.
- Expressive arts and design - The children explore and play with a wide range of media and materials. We encourage them to share their thoughts, ideas and feelings. They express these in art, music, movement, dance, role-play, and design and technology.
We use an online platform called Tapestry to build a record of your child’s learning journey. You can log-in to Tapestry with a secure username and password and view all your child’s observations and photographs. You can like and comment on these observations. There is an option to add your own observations, photos and videos. This allows you to share with us the learning your child does at home.
Tapestry stores all the data entered on their secure servers. There is more information about this on the Tapestry website.
We send all new parents an activation email. From this you can set up your own password to log-in with. If you do not receive the link, please email the school office with your child’s name and class, and they can resend the link.
We hope you enjoy using Tapestry. It is a fantastic way to keep in touch.